North Central Michigan College's Natural Area
North Central Michigan College (NCMC) is just a few minutes from downtown Petoskey. This vibrant community college campus sits on a hilltop overlooking the surrounding hillside and during all four seasons, the campus and countryside offer beautiful vistas.
Located on the campus is the 195-acre NCMC Natural Area. A trailhead can be found behind the Student Community Resource Center and is the gateway to more than five miles of trails. Three loops of trails meander past a variety of unique habitats including a pond, a grassy meadow, a pine and maple stand as well as the Bear River.
The trails are flat and are easy for leisurely strollers as well as fast-paced walkers. In the winter, the trails provide opportunities for cross country skiing and snow shoeing.
Bird watchers love the natural area as surveys conducted by local ornithologists and NCMC biology classes have identified as many as 34 different bird species. Bring along binoculars and bird books.
NCMC is located on Howard Street in Petoskey. Nature area maps can be found at the trailhead. Park behind the Student Community Resource Center.
More of Northern Michigan's Great Outdoors...
- Discover the Lighthouses of Northern Michigan
- Parks Aplenty in the Petoskey Area
- Petoskey State Park
- Petoskey's Bear River Valley Recreation Area
- Petoskey's Bear River Whitewater Park
- Explore the Dark Sky Park Discovery Trail Near Mackinaw City
- Kid's Fishing Pond in Petoskey
- Searching for Petoskey Stones in Northern Michigan
- Disc Golf Up North in Michigan
- Bike the Little Traverse Wheelway from Harbor Springs to Charlevoix
- The Oden State Fish Hatchery Provides Fish for Lakes & Streams
- Kayaking Up North Is The Best!
- Sailing in Northern Michigan for Adults & Kids
- Hike and Bike the North Country Trail
- Boyne City Outdoor Activities
- Thorne Swift Nature Preserve
- Ride the Breezeway Scenic Highway Between Atwood & Boyne Falls
- Up North Outdoor Activities--Hiking, Biking, Golfing, Boating, Sailing, Skiing--It's All Here!
- Visit Young State Park on Lake Charlevoix Near Boyne City
- Arch Rock - A Natural Wonder on Mackinac Island